Coconuts are renowned for their abundance of health benefits. Coconut oil contains beneficial medium chain triglycerides (MCT’s). These little fatty acids are metabolized differently than the unhealthy long-chain fatty acids. They contribute to fat burning, and can have therapeutic effects on certain brains disorders. These MCT’s also help you lower your risk of cholesterol and heart disease.
Coconut milk is different from the thin watery liquid know as coconut water. The milk is created from the grated meat of a coconut, and its rich taste is because of its high fat content.
There are plenty of reasons to love these tasty pancakes because of the healthy nutritional profile of coconuts, but these can be made and enjoyed on the basis of their taste alone. The coconut flavor isn’t nearly as strong as imagined. Instead, as they are imbued with a mild, nutty flavor that truly adds to the experience.
Organic Coconut Milk Pancake Recipe
1. Whisk the flours, sugar, baking powder and salt all together in a large bowl. In a medium bowl or large measuring cup, whisk together the coconut milk, oil, vanilla, and egg.
2. Combine the wet and dry ingredients together, stirring them a bit while being careful not to overmix.
3. Heat a nonstick pan or griddle over medium to medium-high heat and grease with the coconut oil. Pour the batter onto the griddle, as much or as little as you want, depending on the size of pancakes you are in the mood for.
4. Flip the pancakes after a couple of minutes or when the edges of the pancakes begin to look dry and bubbles form on the surface of them. Cook another 1-2 minutes on second side.
5. Remove from the griddle and top with cut fruit and toasted coconut. Toasted coconut adds more coconut flavor, and fresh blueberries, bananas, pineapple or strawberries will be sure to please. Serve with maple syrup or whipped cream if so desired.